Established in the summer of 1932, the cemetery was known as “Quincy Memorial Lawn Cemetery”. The land had been purchased from John and Ed Cain by Mid-West Memorial Park Cemetery Company.
The plans and specifications were drawn up by Ernest Kruse, an architect from Wheeling, Illinois. The plans called for a parkway off the main entrance with drives on either side along with a pond. The “goldfish pond” as it is now known, is home to geese, ducks, turtles, and of course fish. It is a favorite spot for families to visit both see the wildlife and feed the fish. However, no fishing is allowed.
To maintain the “park-like” environment, Cemetery guidelines specified that all Memorial Markers were to be flat Lawn Markers with no Upright Markers permitted. This guideline remains in effect today with only flat bronze or granite markers being permitted. Records indicate the first burials were in 1932.
In 1945, the cemetery was purchased by John L. Nelson and a Declaration of an Association was formed and known as “Quincy Memorial Park Association”.
In 1964, Mr. & Mrs. Robert Felber purchased it from the Nelson Heirs and in 1973 the cemetery was purchased by Mike Haubrich. The Mausoleum was added in 1974/75 and included nearly 600 crypts, 100 cremation niches and a full chapel in the upper level.
The Cemetery changed hands multiple times up until 2008 when Larry Smith, the current owner purchased the cemetery from the Armstrong’s. Larry has been with Quincy Memorial Park since 1989.