Established in the summer of 1932 as “Quincy Memorial Lawn Cemetery” is located
at 5200 Broadway in Quincy Illinois. The land had been purchased from John and
Ed Cain by Mid-West Memorial Park Cemetery Company. The plans and specifications
were drawn up by Ernest Kruse an architect from Wheeling, Illinois.
The plans called for the parkway from the entrance with drives on either side
along with a lake. The lake is often referred to as the goldfish pond. Families
are welcome to come out and feed the fish. However, no fishing is allowed.
Markers were specified to be a flat flush type - no monuments. These remains in
effect today with only flat bronze or flat sand blast markers being permitted.
Records indicate the first burials were in 1932.
In 1945, the cemetery was purchased by John L. Nelson and a Declaration of an
Association was formed and known as “Quincy Memorial Park Association”. Mr. &
Mrs. Robert Felber purchased it from the Nelson Heirs in 1964. Mike Haubrich
purchased the cemetery in 1973.
In 1974/75 the mausoleum with 587 crypts and two chapels was a welcomed
addition. A J Harrison from Waterloo, Iowa purchased Quincy Memorial Park from
Mr. Haubrich; later selling to Janet Armstrong. In 2008, Larry Smith the current
owner purchased the cemetery from Ms. Armstrong. Larry has been with Quincy
Memorial Park for 24 years. Quincy Memorial Park is beautifully maintained with
improvements being made as possible. There have been over 10,000 burials at
Quincy Memorial Park.